Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Act. 1 Who am I linguistically: investigating my English


Introduction
This task has the intention to be aware of own language strengths and weakness, reflecting on the culture role in the classroom.   The Ss attitude and knowledge affect their learning.
1st Transcription :
“Good morning, my name is Karina, today I will talk to you about culture and the good T in the English L classroom, today[k1] , many Ts have been wondering if they are doing the right thing when they are teaching in their classrooms [k2] since they have got to the conclusion that there is no, [k3] there is not the best way, or the best technique, or approach to teach, they have realized that what they need to focus on is [k4] our Ss, to make the T [k5] more like a Ss center process , in the process we need to, we also need to take into account the Ss culture, when the Ss come from different cultures that is also something that affects the learning in the classroom, and the T needs to take into consideration the culture from, from [k6] the Ss, from the institute or school where he´s working, also if he´s living or living [k7] in a different country, he also needs to take that into account, as well as his own ideas and beliefs, his own culture as well.  Now[k8] , once that the T realizes that we need to pay more attention on Ss and, and the[k9]  what they need, why[k10]  they are in the classroom, if they are planning to study English or any other L for an specific objective, for instance, [k11] if they want to pass an exam we need to focus on grammar or spelling or written skills but if they are planning to study just to have, have[k12]  a better understanding of the L, either for vacation, or for any other reason in their personal life, well, in that way we will focus on teaching them communicative skills, so they can communicate [k13] better, once they are either traveling, or just developing in, in, with [k14] any social interaction.
Now, something else that we need to consider is that when the S comes into the classroom he has a certain idea of what is going to be the learning, and how is going to be the teaching process, once the S[k15] , the T understands how and why[k16]  the S wants to be trained or teach[k17] , he is going to do it better, another thing to consider is that the T must know himself or herself in order to know what he needs and in order [k18] to be constantly assessing the way he is teaching, the S will let us know if we are doing correctly[k19] , because once the S is learning that will be our best way to evaluate our work, his[k20]  learning.
Thank you”.



 [k1] Lexical: unnecassary repetition.

 [k2] Repetition.

 [k3] Survival tactic, when you realized you said something wrong, you recap.

 [k4] Grammar: Inverted colocation

 [k5] Lexical: Not the T, but the “teaching”

 [k6] Hesitating

 [k7] Hesitating

 [k8] Call for attention.

 [k9] Grammar: unnecessary word.

 [k10] Pronunciation: it doesn´t sound in the way I want to, I must concentrate on the proper sound.

 [k11] Grammar structure: That should have gone before the sentence.

 [k12] Grammar: unnecessary word.

 [k13] Vocabulary

 [k14] Hesitating

 [k15] Recap

 [k16] Pronunciation: idt doesn´t sound in the way I want to, I must concentrate on the proper sound.

 [k17] Lexical: taught not teach

 [k18] Lexical: unnecessary words.

 [k19] Lexical: incorrect use of the word, it would be better tos ay “fine”.

 [k20] Pacing, making a space to emphasize the conclusiĆ³n of the speech.

    
     Encountered language problems:
     Besides all those mistakes I was not relaxed during the recording.  I also need to use more linkers between the ideas to give a sense of a whole, instead of isolated sentences about certain topic.   I had a few lexical problems changing vocabulary for words that do not fit in the context or repeating in a try to keep the idea in my mind.  Also I made some grammatical mistakes saying words in a wrong place.
     I have problems pronouncing “why” even I know how to do it, I say it wrong, this is an old issue that I need to take care of. 
     I think I made those mistakes because I was not relaxed, my speech didn´t sound natural, I wasn´t in my natural environment, I wasn´t in my classroom, my voice had no tone, no charm, usually my voice is warmer.

2nd Transcription :
     “Good morning, my name is Karina, today I will talk to you about culture and the good T in the English Language classroom, many Ts have been wondering if they are doing the right thing since they have seen that there isn´t a best method to teach, or the best technique, or approach, they had realized that what they need is to focus on Ss, to make the teaching a Ss center process, of course, in the process we also need to take into account the Ss culture, when the Ss come from different countries or cultures that is something that affects the learning in the classroom, besides, the T needs to take into consideration the culture not only from Ss, from the institute or school where he´s working, also if he´s living in a different country, as well as his own ideas and beliefs, his own culture as well. To summarize, once the Ss, the T realizes that we need to pay more attention on Ss, for instance, what they need, why they are in the classroom, if they are planning to study English or any other L for an specific objective, if they want to pass an exam we need to focus on grammar or spelling or written skills but if they are planning to study just to have  a better understanding of the L, either for vacation, or for any other reason in their personal life, well, in that way, we will focus on teaching them communicative skills, so they can communicate, express their ideas effectively, in that way when they be either traveling,  just meeting people or at any , any social interaction., they are going to do it just fine.
   Now, something else that we need to consider is that when the S comes into the classroom he has a certain idea of what is going to be the learning, and how is going to be the teaching process, once the T understands how and why, why the S wants to be trained or taught, learning will go smoother, another thing to consider is that the T must know himself or herself in order to know what he or she needs to change to be constantly improving, therefore, assessing the way he/she is teaching, who would help us know?  the Ss will tell us we are doing fine, because once the S is learning that is the best way to evaluate our work,  their learning.
Thank you”.

Conclusion:

   What I did different this time is to stress on key words, I also emphasized to point out more important ideas, though my voice speed was so slow that sound kind of mechanic.  I got aware of mispronouncing “why” right after saying it, I couldn´t stop recording, but I´m committed to change it.  I repeat some words even in the second script.
   I also noticed that I linked the ideas, I questioned to create interest.  I liked recording my voice because if It was a very useful tool for me, imagine how interested would be my Ss, they would be able to notice some mispronouncing mistakes by themselves, or even their grammar or lexical problems, I´ll try it in the classroom as soon as I have some free time.

Reference:

·         Audacity audacity.softonic.com/descargar 

·         Colin Sowden, Culture and the 'good teacher' in the English Language classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment